This morning, when I checked my social media pages, I saw a post from a Native friend:
“still here columbus. you bastard.
goin’ to work, even.”
I wrote back to my friend:
“I can’t imagine why.
Just remember: your joy is revolutionary.”
His part in history is to thrive against the odds. My responsibility is to educate myself and others so I can stand in solidarity with my friend.
We are always and constantly writing and rewriting history.
We can do better.
The time is always now.
Thanks for reading…
RESOURCES & PERSPECTIVES:
• Chapter 1 from Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States
• Indigenous People’s Day 2015: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
• Italian Americans who Fought for Justice
• This video:
• This Oatmeal illustration: Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy was not) – The Oatmeal (It’s worth noting that Bartolomé was no saint — he was against enslaving natives, yes, but until his repentance, his suggested solution was to enslave Africans instead. Read, research, and draw your own conclusions.)
• This video by my friend Hari Kondabolu on another friend’s (W. Kamau Bell) now defunct tv show, Totally Biased: