People of Color in Independent Schools (POCIS) is currently seeking new members to join our Board of Directors. If you value making schools more inclusive, aware, and active communities, have skills and experience that will compliment the Board, and are prepared to commit time and energy to a dynamic, working team, please submit your materials by May 20, 2016.
Requirements and guidelines are below. Terms are for a minimum of three years. We are seeking individuals with the following backgrounds.
– Diversity/Multicultural education training
– Non-profit experience and leadership
– Educators, parents, or staff from independent schools
– Racial and Social justice work
People of Color in Independent Schools of Northern California supports the academic achievement, professional development and advancement, self-determination and well-being of students, families, and adults of color in PK-12 Bay Area independent schools.
Who we are:
People of Color in Independent Schools is made up of educators from diverse professional and personal backgrounds who believe that equity, inclusion, multiculturalism, and social justice is integral to quality education for all.
What we do:
POCIS of Northern California promotes and facilitates dialogue among people of color and their allies to foster multicultural understanding and community building. POCIS advocates for increasing ethnic and cultural diversity at all levels in independent schools. POCIS provides resources and expertise to child-serving professionals on building inclusive curriculum, developing cultural competence in students and adults, and fostering leadership in students and adults of color within schools. POCIS encourages school structures, policies, and practices to reflect a long-term and sustainable commitment to equity and inclusion.
Board Recruitment Process:
1) Please email the following information to email@example.com by May 20, 2016:
a. Cover letter of intent with your contact information, addressing the following questions:
– Why do you want to be on the POCIS Board?
– What skills will you contribute to POCIS that focus on people of color, especially students, families, faculty, staff and administrators?
– How have you worked as an agent of change for equity and justice?
b. Current resume
c. Two professional references with contact information and one letter of recommendation. This will be due no later than May 27, 2016.
2) Be available to interview between the weeks of May 30 through June 10, 2016. A second in person interview may be necessary.
3) New Board Member Welcome and Orientation (required) will take place in June. (Either June 11 or 12)
Please forward to any interested and qualified candidates.
Aaron Mullen and Rachel Parrish
Co-Chairs of POCIS Board